Accra Archdiocesan Catholic Youth Council AADCYC
The Accra Archdiocesan Catholic Youth Council (AADCYC) is the umbrella body of all the youth in the Catholic Archdiocese of Accra. With the multiplicity of youth groups at the Parish and Diocesan levels, the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Ghana formed the Ghana National Catholic Youth Council (GHANCYC) on the National level and the Diocesan Youth Councils (DYC). Accra (then Diocesan) Archdiocesan Catholic Youth Council (AADCYC) was formed to act as an umbrella body for all the youth, both organized and not organized, coordinating their activities and being their mouth-piece at all levels.
As a laity group with a focus on Youth Apostolate and the coordination of activities of all the Catholic Youth Groups in the Catholic Archdiocese of Accra, AADCYC is constituted by the Chairpersons, Secretaries, Organizers and Chaplains of the Deanery Youth Councils and the Archdiocesan Youth Movements. It is headed by four elected executives with the option to co-opt other Council members for a two-year term. The Archdiocesan Youth Chaplain is the advisor and spiritual director of the Council. The Council is the mouthpiece of the youth and also represents them on other councils and at various fora.
There are six (6) Deanery Youth Councils namely;
and nine(9) Youth Movements namely;
• CATHOLIC YOUTH ORGANIZATION (CYO)
• CATHOLIC STUDENTS UNION (CASU)
• CATHOLIC ORGANIZATION FOR SOCIAL AND RELIGIOUS ADVANCEMENT (COSRA)
• LEAGUE OF TARCISIANS
• YOUNG CHRISTIAN WORKERS (YCW)
• KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF THE ALTAR (KNOLTA)
• JUNIOR KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF MARSHALL
• JUNIOR KNIGHTS AND LADIES OF ST. JOHN
• YOUTH MINISTRY (with an Observer status) and their respective Chaplains.
Justice, Truth, Commitment to Work and Community, Faith in God, Service to humanity, Servant leadership, Forgiveness, Peace, Hope, Charity/love, Reverence, Dignity of humanity, Endurance, Joy and Compassion.
1. To ensure the development of a sense of responsibility and commitment so as to fully, actively and consciously participate in all youth programmes right from the Parish to the Archdiocesan level (Growth and Maturation).
2. To encourage continuous catechesis for the youth and to provide a platform for knowledge in scriptures and the Church doctrine (Faith formation).
3. To explore social inclusiveness and provide socially and economically acceptable skills to the youth to enhance spiritual and physical stability through the establishment of sustainable ventures (Skills development).
To develop a fully integrated and spiritually active youth, armed with the spirit and knowledge of Christ and ready to overcome life’s challenges in the process of attaining salvation.
To equip the youth through faith formation, provision of skills and opportunities to enable them live the Gospel of Christ in this challenging world and to explore divergent resources in achieving a fully integrated growth and maturity through the guidance of the Catholic Church.