ANNOUNCEMENT IN VIEW OF GHANA’S 60TH INDEPENDENCE ANNIVERSARY AND 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS BETWEEN THE HOLY SEE AND THE REPUBLIC OF GHANA.
From the Chancery Office of the Catholic Archdiocese of Accra:
IN PRAYERFUL SUPPORT AND SPIRITUAL PREPARATION FOR THE CELEBRATION OF THE 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF GHANA?S INDEPENDENCE WHICH FALLS ON MONDAY, MARCH 06, 2017, AND IN COMMEMORATION AND CELEBRATION OF THE 60TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CONSECRATION OF GHANA TO THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS WHICH TOOK PLACE IN MARCH 03, 1957, AT THE HOLY SPIRIT CATHEDRAL, ACCRA, THE METROPOLITAN ARCHBISHOP OF ACCRA HAS DIRECTED THAT PARISHES AND RECTORATES IN THE ARCHDIOCSE OF ACCRA OBSERVE:
1. NOVENA TO THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS AND THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY FROM THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 25 TO FRIDAY, MARCH 03, 2017.
2. OBSERVATION OF FIRST FRIDAY DEVOTION TO THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS ON FRIDAY, MARCH 03, 2017 (WITH ALL-DAY EXPOSITION OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT IN PARISH/RECTORATE CHAPELS).
3. CELEBRATION OF FIRST SATURDAY DEVOTION AND HOLY MASS IN HONOUR OF THE IMMACULATE HEART OF MARY, MOTHER OF CHRIST IN THE MORNING IN VARIOUS PARISHES AND RECTORATES ON SATURDAY, MARCH 04, 2017.
4. AND IN PLACE OF MASSES AND DEVOTION AT THE SIX ARCHDIOCESAN MARIAN SHRINES AND GROTTOES ON SATURDAY, MARCH 04, 2017, THERE WILL BE HOLY ROSARY PROCESSIONS FROM SPECIFIC POINTS IN THE ACCRA METROPOLIS (YET TO BE INDICATED) TO THE HOLY SPIRIT CATHEDRAL FROM 14.00 TO 16.00 GMT, TO BE CLIMAXED WITH
5. THE RE-CONSECRATION OF GHANA TO THE MOST SACRED HEART OF JESUS IN AN ECUMENICAL AND INTER-FAITH PRAYER SERVICE (FIRST LENTEN VESPERS) AT THE HOLY SPIRIT CATHEDRAL, ACCRA, ON SATURDAY, MARCH 04, 2017 FROM 17.00 TO 18:30 GMT TO BE PRESIDED OVER BY THE APOSTOLIC NUNCIO AND THE PRESIDENT OF THE GHANA CATHOLIC BISHOPS? CONFERENCE TOGETHER WITH OTHER BISHOPS WITH THE PARTICIPATION OF OTHER DIGNATARIES.
6. ON SUNDAY, MARCH 05, 2017, THERE WILL BE HOLY MASS OF THANKSGIVING FOR BOTH THE 40TH ANNIVERSARY OF DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS BETWEEN GHANA AND THE HOLY SEE (VATICAN CITY) AND THE 60TH ANNIVERARY OF GHANA?S INDEPENDENCE AT THE HOLY SPIRIT CATHEDRAL, ACCRA.
The Metropolitan Archbishop of Accra encourages all to participate in these spiritual exercises and celebrations as our prayerful contribution to God in thanksgiving for the 40th Anniversary of the Apostolic Nunciature and for the 60th of Ghana?s Independence.
Further directives will be given in due course.
Given on Saturday, February 04, 2017 to be announced at the Grottoes and in the Parishes/Rectorates and Religious Houses today and tomorrow, Sunday, February 05, 2017 and thereafter.
Rev. Fr. Anthony Agnes ADU-MENSAH,
Secretary and Chancellor,
Catholic Archdiocese of Accra.